This may sound a bit scary but, are you interested in learning how to become a private lender in Fort Worth? It may sound scary if you’ve never done it before however, it really just takes some planning and savvy business sense and an ability to tolerate a little risk. In this post, we’ll talk about how to become a private lender in the local real estate market and the benefits.
Like anything else in the world of business, becoming a private lender just involves the correct application of a few essential skills. Financial ability, money sense, and careful attention to detail are all required. Below is a breakdown of what you need to do to make sure you’re ready to become a private lender.
What is Private Lending?
Private lending is a method by which the lender (you) sets up a system similar to a bank or loan company to loan money to real estate investors for the purpose of buying, rehabbing, selling real estate. Private real estate investors are your key audience that you want to try and snag when marketing since they are the ones who will be investing in properties with your financial backing. To learn more about how to become a private lender in Fort Worth, read on…
Advantages of Becoming a Private Lender in Fort Worth
One of the main reasons that you may want to look into private lending is that you’ll make a sizable return through repeated interest payments over the course of an agreed amount of time. For every private loan that you make, if done correctly, you should see a percentage of this as a return annually. And, when you lend thru special “self-directed” IRAs, can also be done Tax-Free.
Tips on How to Become a Private Lender
There are several key areas that you need to become educated on to understand and master before you take on your first loan as a private real estate lender. Below are six of them to pay close attention too.
- Liquidity– To become a successful private lender, you’ll need to understand that your money will not have liquidity associated with it while in the process of investing in your private lending deals. So, if you think you are going to need the money before the end of the loan period, you “should not” do private lending until you have enough assets or cash on hand.
- Collateral Valuation– You need to know enough about finance that you have an understanding of how to evaluate the value of the collateral. There are some good internet sources that you can read up on to improve your skills in this regard. This is critical to ensure a smart investment and is one of the BIG benefits of private lending – your loan is secured by the real estate your lending against making it a considerably safe investment when done correctly.
- Advances– Knowing how much money you can afford to advance to your borrowers and investors is important, as well as how much you can give them as a cash advance to make deals. You need to do your homework in this area before taking on this aspect of real estate investing.
- Title– Know the laws regarding title acquisition and transfer so that you will not make serious errors regarding transactions that could cost you legal fees or local fees in Fort Worth or Texas.
- Borrower Credit– The amount of credit you can afford to extend to customers and investors should be considered carefully. You should always keep plenty of reserve in your account as a lender so that, if a deal goes bad or you need extra funds, they will be there without having to dip into your external bank account.
- Private Lender Insurance– Make sure that you don’t forget to take out private lender insurance if you plan to try to make a career out of becoming a private lender in Fort Worth. This important insurance will protect you in the event of a mistake on your part such as errors and omissions that lead to a loss on the part of your investors. Sometimes this gets into big money figures and the financial risk to you can be huge. Make sure you carry enough insurance to cover any problems that may arise over time.
Remember that becoming a private lender in Fort Worth is fairly easy. But staying out of legal and financial trouble may be the challenge. We don’t want to scare anyone off from this potentially lucrative opportunity however, you should definitely do your homework when planning to tap into this aspect of real estate investing and know your assets and reserves before giving out private loans.
You could quickly end up in a legal or dire financial situation if you don’t think and stay ahead of the game.
When it comes to learning how to become a private lender in Fort Worth, you may want to seek the advice of experienced local real estate investment experts such as TMC Property Solutions. You may also want to join your local real estate investment group such as the West DFW REI Group in Fort Worth where you can network and learn from experienced investors and lenders. There’s a reason that becoming a private money lender is also called a hard money lending transaction. Much diligence and care must go into the research and preparation that you do to be successful and avoid the extreme risks that come with this sort of money venture. One free tool called RehabValuator that many investors are using today helps you as the lender because it allows the investor to document all the details of the deal, the repairs needed, the comps for the property and the funds needed and profits for the deal and presents it all in one nice neat professional looking package.
In essence, a private real estate lender could also be compared to a venture capitalist, who understands the business of money and how it’s all about the eventual return on investment (ROI). It also helps if you have a sizable amount of money to invest in this venture since it often results in some degree of loss if someone defaults on a loan or some unexpected event occurs to which you cannot control.
To learn more about how to become a private lender in your real estate area, call us at (817) 550-5069 Opt# 8 or visit us at our main site. We can save you a lot of trouble down the road!
TMC Property Solutions is an accredited business and A+ rated members of the Fort Worth BBB and has been helping families and teaching investors since the year 2000.
Are you buying houses in North Texas? Come join our West DFW REI Group by clicking here. Network, learn, do more deals.
Be sure to check out the Investor Resources button at the top of the page and to your right side of this page.
Good luck with your new venture as a Private Lender.